Combining formal instruction with a conversation-based approach to the language, we develop speaking and listening skills through activities and exercises that correspond to adult students’ specific needs. Topics of emphasis include pinyin, tones, pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, and general conversational skills. At the students’ discretion, reading Chinese characters may or may not be emphasized. In the past, we have helped adult students prepare for graduate school proficiency tests, civil service examinations, professional appointments in China and Taiwan, and a variety of other needs.
Chinese Beginner Learners
Throughout the year, we offer a 12-week long introductory course for beginner adult students. The small group class meets once per week for an hour. Class size is limited to 6 students. Please see the FAQ #2 for more information.
Learners with Prior Experience
For students who have some prior experience with the language, it may be possible in some circumstances to join an existing group class with students of a comparable level. Small group classes and one-on-one classes may also be created to accommodate student needs.
In addition to offering courses at our Hyde Park location, our teachers are also available to offer group classes at companies in the Austin area. Courses are structured as 12-week sessions that meet once per week for an hour.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What levels of Chinese classes you offer? We offer different levels of Chinese classes, from beginner to advanced level. Our teachers are well-trained and have extensive teaching experience, please learn more at our teachers.
- Do you have a class for total beginners? Yes we do! The adult beginner class focuses on developing Mandarin Chinese speaking and listening skills. The class curriculum has been developed independently by our teachers based on previous experiences of working with adult learners. Students will go through various topics such as numbers, weather, food and date in Chinese and get a basic knowledge of Chinese language structure during the process. After finishing the beginner course, students will be able to conduct short conversations in Chinese and have a general knowledge of Chinese pronunciation and language structure. They will be able to move on to the intermediate level.
- How often does the class meet? What is the class schedule? The class usually meets 1 hour a week, and there are 12 sessions in a course, so the duration of a course is 12 weeks. We offer classes on the weekdays and Saturday mornings. Weekday: Monday 9am-1pm, Tuesday~Thursday 9am-5:45pm, Saturday 9am-1:15pm.
- What is the size of a small group class? We take pride in keeping our class small (less than 6 students) so that the teacher can pay attention to each student’s progress. We open a class when there are 3 students signing up.
- I am interested, what’s next? Great! Please complete the questionnaire, and we will contact you shortly with more information on upcoming classes.